Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Off to see the Wizard



We've done a little work this year for the Hollywood Theatre, and as a thank you, executive director Doug Whyte loaned us the theatre to do with what we want. "You can have a private party, show any movie you want."

Fun! Hm, what movie?

Fitzcarraldo? Would be great to see it on the big screen. Ikiru? Five Obstructions? What else?

I talked about it with my wife. What are my other favorite movies..? Oh! I know!

I hadn't even spoken the title, and my wife looked at me and shook her head. "No. Not Andrei Rublev."

But why? It's awesome!

"Um, do you want people to enjoy themselves?"

It didn't take too much additional thinking until I settled on the clear choice.



"Will you be playing Pink Floyd with it?" a few people have asked.

No, it's mind-blowing enough as is, I think. But you can bring it on your iPod if you want.



When we choose 10 classic stories to illustrate Joseph Campbell's archetypal hero story a while back, we began and ended with The Wizard of Oz. It's a perfect example, a great story. L. Frank Baum and Victor Fleming knew what they were doing.

Campbell told us that the most powerful stories speak to us on multiple levels. On its most basic level, Oz is a story about a farm girl from Kansas who is carried away by a tornado.

On another level it's a story about the power of wisdom, and heart, and courage.

Campbell was most interested in another aspect of the myth - its power to that illumine the deepest mysteries of the human experience. I think we can find that depth in Oz, too.



It's also just a fun movie, full of great performances, and wit, and darkness, and life, and great songs.

You're welcome to join us in watching it, at the Hollywood Theatre, this Monday, June 6 at 7 o'clock. $5 for adults, $2 for kids, and proceeds go to Youth, Rights & Justice, a non-profit law firm for kids.

Hope to see you there.

-Jelly

5 comments:

Jerryc said...

Given the current political climate, a more critically compelling choice would have been the quintessential American film "On the Waterfront" or the equally compelling western "Hud" or even the Lewis Milestone version of "All Quiet on the Western Front." Amphetamine Annie simply doesn't do it for me any more, even if her dream surrealism alludes to heroic virtue. To dream is one thing; to act is another; clearly fans ain't players...

I'm principal of a said...

Thanks for the comment, Jerryc.

Is Amphetamine Annie Dorothy? Cuz she ain't no dreamer, yo. Going after the broomstick of the Wicked Witch of the West? That's just as cold-blooded as anything Paul Newman or Brando did. She a playa -

I'm principal of a said...

I'm getting so excited. I went and did a test with the projectionist on Friday, and it looks so good - we're showing the remastered version created for the 70th anniversary... So nice...

JerryC said...

Jelly,

Well known that that Judy was a junkie... If you want cold blooded women, I recommend Dietrich.

Brando in Conrad's Heart of Darkness, is far creepier than the WW of the West. And Newman's flaunting of an impending Texas oil legacy is just as terrifying, especially when compared to #43's wars, policies and economic incompetence.

In any event, we will always have the underlying symbolism as to whether the Wizard of Oz did indeed, make the correct choice to facilitate the decline of the worldwide gold standard!

I'm principal of a said...

Ha! Thanks, Jerryc! Good stuff...

Herzog was higher octane - I wonder what you thought of that? And then I saw Tree of Life this weekend... :-O