Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Morning

Gorgeous clear cold morning in Portland and I am in the studio earlyish to get at it.



Much going on with the studio - much going on with the people we work with - all good - but I am not feeling inclined to shplorp it out there via the blawg.

Also much on my mind about how our work fits with everything churning out there in the world. Alignment. Context. Also difficult to express on the blawg. For a blawger, I have a lot of blawg ambivalence. Maybe over coffee.

Yet, I deeply appreciate you, readers! - and all the encouragement you share. Everybody can use encouragement. So let me share this. It's from Bill Bernbach, someone I've written about before, a guy who still has something to say about the communication business. A visionary. From the dedication of his book.


We in the communications field - in radio, in television, in magazines, in newspapers, in posters - have developed unprecedented skills in mass persuasion. You and I can no longer isolate our lives. It just won't work. What happens to society is going to affect us with ever-increasing rapidity. The world has progressed to the point where its most powerful public force is public opinion. And I believe that in this new, complex, dynamic world it is not the great work or epic play, as once was the case, that will shape that opinion, but those who understand mass media and the tools of public persuasion. The metabolism of the world has changed. New vehicles must carry ideas to it. We must ally ourselves with great ideas and carry them to the public. We must practice our skills on behalf of society. We must not just believe in what we sell. We must sell what we believe in. And we must pour a vast amount of energy into these causes.


Thanks everybody. Talk to you later.

Jelly

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, would like your comment on this totally unrelated item:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/17795/bank_of_america_using_three_intelligence_firms_to_attack_wikileaks

Thanks

Brian said...

Despite your reservation, I do appreciate your "blawg." It's refreshing to read a perspective not commonly shared in ad blogs or comm-arts blogs or whatever you want to call it...

There's a self-awareness that comes through in your blog which I appreciate. Most of the other crap out there is self indulgent.

I probably speak for a lot of your readers when I say, we wouldn't mind even more entries.

In summation... keep on keepin on.

Brian

I'm principal of a said...

Thanks Brian. Yeah, blawgs are a double edged sword for me. I love connecting with people, I love sharing ideas, I love starting and participating in conversations.

But there's an inherent crumminess to online/screen-based living, too.

It's like Doritos - how can they taste so good and so shitty at the same time? A mystery.

But I appreciate the encouragement.

Thanks.

J Channell said...

Interesting chap your MK, reminds me of my seventh-sense friend; Reverend Tim Jensen.

Find him at http://eclectic-cleric.blogspot.com/

and later, discoursing and dying from cancer at

http://onedayisle.blogspot.com/

Reciprocate "potlatch" and "sell" and you'll better motivate the masses...

Thanks for the read,

JC