Friday, September 25, 2009

Why didn't I think of that



Seth Godin already makes half a million a year on this idea, an aggregator of internet chatter about brands. For $400 a month, a brand can "curate" its page; otherwise, it's a raw feed on your brand. Ad Age calls it 'brandjacking,' but 100 brands have already signed up.

Definitely a strong whack-myself-in-the-head vibe to this story, like the guy who sold ads on his million pixel website for a dollar a piece, or the URL squatter who bought every dictionary word -.com in the early days.

Not sure what sort of value it creates? Not sure who visits it? But if you're Heineken or Home Depot, what's 400 bucks a month? They can dig that out of the marketing director's couch. Huzzah, Seth Godin!

Still, doesn't quite feel like the the thing, yet. I don't know what thing I am talking about exactly. Where this all heads? How social chatter and connection and brands creating value, and what "value" even means in this complex world - how we stitch it all together to create an economy where we are all fed and housed... I think that's what is on my mind.

I am astounded by all the cool sh*t happening online, all the creativity, all the energy, and the possibilities, but I keep having to reach down to find the ground sometimes. Purpose. How does all of it come together into a story that moves us forward?



The question is too much though. I believe that's what must happen and will happen, but the only way to click into is to create your own value personally and enjoy the ride. This sort of feels like the addendum to that speech the other night.






No comments: