Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Easiest blawg post ever


On Wednesday, November 5, the day after the election, I booked four airline tickets and a hotel room in DC so that my family could attend the inauguration of Barack Obama. We didn't know anything about tickets to anything, we knew it would be a madhouse, but we wanted our sons to witness it, to remember it, to know for the rest of their lives that this thing is possible.

I called Ron Wyden's office and Earl Blumenauer's office and we were put on a waiting list for tickets, though I didn't expect we'd get them. The assistant in Blumenauer's office told me, "Go anyway. There will be plenty to do. You don't want to miss it."

Reality started creeping in when we began to think about how a 5- and 7-year-old would handle a full day of crushing crowds at 37 degrees and with few portapotties, not to mention how we'd handle it.

A few of my brothers and sisters had also booked flights and hotel rooms, and the trips were falling apart for them too for various reasons.

Here's what my brother Ted and his wife Mary Beth did with their tickets and hotel room. You'll see them at the end of the video clip. I hope you can watch it. For me, it captures so much of the hope and optimism I've been feeling in the last few months. Plus it offers a teensy glimpse of what a beautiful dude my brother is.



I'm taking a break for a little while. Thinking. Send me an email if something is on your mind.

xo

me@jellyhelm.com

2 comments:

Chris said...

Nice story.

Pete said...

Some lovely Helm work.