Sunday, December 7, 2008

L is for left-over chocolates


Leo picked this out of his project folder and the boys and Kathleen made them.

Then we put up the artificial tree, watched Rudolph, and took a ride on the Portland Vintage Trolley, a perfect replica of the trolleys that ran in Portland from 1901 to 1950. It runs for free, only on Sundays, a 45-minute loop that starts and ends at Lloyd Center.

It's not Disneyland. The conductors are sort of weird and irritable, not taking any shit from anybody, telling bad and sometimes inappropriate jokes. At one point one of them said into his microphone "we'll be wiping blood off the tracks." Perfect replicas of the original conductors.

We came back and got to see the tree in the dark for the first time. It was as good of a Christmastime Sunday I think I've ever experienced.

The economy is in the crapper, our country's at the bottom of a very big hill, I have no idea what I will be doing in 2009, and I don't know when I have felt more peace. Go figure.

1 comment:

John Helm said...

I wish I lived closer - would enjoy celebrating with you and the family.

Geo Bush is looking and acting more like Alfred E Neuman everyday.